Thursday, July 10, 2014

Part 1: August


“I know I’m not an ordinary ten-year-old kid. I mean, sure, I do ordinary things. I eat ice cream. I ride my bike. I play ball. I have an Xbox. Stuff like that makes me ordinary. I guess.”

 

August is a ten year old boy going into his first year of middle school. That’s a big step for every kid. However, it’s a little bit harder for August than most kids his age.  August is a boy who was born with many craniofacial abnormalities.  Part one of this book is giving us insight into Augusts’ mind and thoughts.  It’s him describing his life and how he feels everything. How everyone looks at him, how everyone feels towards him. It’s relatable to everyone at some point in our lives. We have all had our insecure stages. Going into middle school with braces, acne on my face, and at one point I even had a back brace for three months. I was also worried about what people were saying about me. I overheard girls at a basketball game talking about my back brace “why is where wearing that thing?”  “It makes her look weird.”  August struggles through this every day of his life. Even though he likes the same activities as other boys his age, and has the same thoughts as them, he’s seen as someone completely different.

“Here’s what I think:  the only reason I’m not ordinary is that no one else sees me that way”

Our facial features count for more than we’d like them too, unfortunately. Sometimes a girl wouldn’t talk to another because “you don’t have the newest shoes like me” or something along those lines. We have all looked into the mirror and not like what we see, wishing to change something about ourselves. This is the part I’m able to connect to the most. August has low self-esteem just I do at points in time. 


From the very first line of this story, I’m able to get inside August’s head. Sometimes I feel as though I am August. Part one of this book is connecting to him and putting our self in his shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment