Thursday, July 10, 2014

Part 4: Jack

“Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” –Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince

First off, I loved the quote at the beginning of this part (the one above). It’s true for many of the characters in this story. August’s parents, Via, Summer, Justin, and even Jack after a rough patch. They all loved August because of his heart and the kind of person he is. They didn’t judge him based on his face like many of the kids in school did, like Julian.

I saw Jack as the most realistic character in the novel. He has many of the same struggles as most kids do during middle school. Jack was put to the test. On the day of Halloween Jack was talking with Julian and their friends about why Jack was friends with August. Without thinking August was around Jack went on to say, “I really think… if I looked like him, seriously, I think that’d I’d kill myself.”  (pg 77) Talking behind friends back is not a good characteristic, but let’s face it, growing up pretty much everyone has done it at least once to try and fit in. I think this is part of growing up. We make mistakes, but we learn.

Jack had a turning point. His turning point was punching Julian in the face. It was the first time Jack really stood up for August, the first time Jack became one of August’s true friends. I believe that Jack knows violence is not the answer, but secretly Julian deserved the punch in the face, ever since the first day showing August around the school.  A significant part of Jacks story is him being bullied, the “war” he is going through with Julian and his group. Jack doesn't retaliate, if anything August and him find a way to joke around about it. Even though the bullying is hurting Jack’s he doesn’t let it show. He finds a way to mask the hurt so August doesn’t see it along with giving the satisfaction to Julian and the others.

Jack also saw himself kind of on the outside and wanted to fit in because his parents weren’t rich like the rest of the kids. “I didn’t want anyone to know that I was the “hobo” who had taken the sled,” (pg 150). In a way, Jack feels a sort of connection to August like they’re on the outside looking in.



I thought of this song as a good way to describe August, but reading Jack’s part I feel as though he is on the outside just as August is in different ways. Yet somehow, they find a connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment