Thursday, July 10, 2014

Part 3: Summer

I have to admit, Summer is one brave girl.  To be honest, I don’t know if I would have been able to do what she did on the first day of school. Summer first appears in Augusts’ part one when she randomly sat with him at lunch on the first day of school. She didn’t let the superficial judgment of the other girls or kids stop her. I have to admit I smiled pretty big when I read this part. I was so happy he didn’t have to sit by himself. Summer sat with him the first day of school because she felt sorry for him, but after that day she didn’t sit with him again because she felt sorry for him. But she went back every single day and sat with him because he was fun. She liked being his friend, she liked his company. Summer is the definition of a true friend.

“You’re a saint, Summer,” Ximena Chin said to me the other day. “I couldn't do what you’re doing.”(pg 119)


Summer was invited to Savanna’s party, a popular girl from school. Summer, being super excited, realized when she got there they really only wanted to coax her out of being friends with August. “you would be a lot more popular if you didn’t hang out with him so much” these girls tried to change who she was. Summer stood her ground beside August even though he wasn’t there. She never bad mouthed him, she was the bigger person. Summer is August’s first true friend.  She wasn’t asked by Mr. Tushman to befriend him or even go out of her way to be nice to him, she did it out of the goodness of her own heart. She wanted to be his friend. Ultimately, I believe Summer befriending him is what helps him get through his first few months of school. 


Even when everyone else in the school was playing the game “The Plague” and talking down about August, Summer stood by August’s side from the first day of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment